Tuesday, September 10, 2013

They grow so fast

 Growing fast is part of the plan with cattle, and my husband's (and mine too now I suppose) calves have really put on the pounds this summer, making us both very happy. Here are a few photos from last week, after we moved them to fresh pasture.
Much as it pains me to say this out loud, Simmental/Angus crosses may not be that bad : )


It was a little brisk when this guy arrived in early spring!



 Here's the difference between a high percentage Simmental heifer ( on the left), and a high percentage Angus heifer (on the right). My husband just loves the one on the left, while my dad immediately commented on how much he liked the nice head on the one on the right.



 This is most likely an AI calf. My husband AI's his heifers and some of his cows each year.



As you can see, it turned out to be a great grass year in western S.D.
 
 
 
 Which also means an excellent milk year!



 These cows are mostly our first calf heifers and coming three's, in other words the young mothers. They're going to make a positive impact on the cowherd based on the number raising calves like this one. That's baby on the left and momma on the right. Oh, and one of my Wyoming transplants sporting a pink ear tag.



Here are the mothers, or "The Beef Council" as one lady commented on my Double H Facebook page. Hope you've enjoyed a good grass year in your area as well!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your Dad ... I think you lose the feminine flair with the simmental cross. :)

    ReplyDelete