Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Red Dirt Music

Ah red dirt music/Texas country/southern rock/whatever you call it. While I listen to just about everything, but rap, this genre is my definite favorite.
If you know me at all, you know my thoughts of the south, particularly Texas and New Mexico, are less than favorable (I hated it there, in case you weren't getting the drift). The one good thing to come out of the area, in my opinion, is the music.
Ironically enough, I first learned of red dirt music while in community college in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Yep, a classmate, who I believe was from Oregon, had Cross Canadian Ragweed's Soul Gravy album, and I was hooked. Alabama is still one of my all time favorite songs.
From there it's expanded, and New Mexico did expose me to a lot more artists that weren't as well-known up north. Today my ipod is bursting with Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Micky and Motorcars, Randy Rogers Band, Aaron Watson and many others. I've also seen some of these artists in concert, and stood a mere 5-6 feet from the stage at a Cross Canadian Ragweed concert in Fort Collins, at eye level with the band, which was awesome!
I also love the album covers, and the fact you can get most of the songs in either studio or live versions.
Here is a sampling of some recent additions to my music collection, and some of my favorites, in case you want to listen for yourself, and to help you over the Wednesday hump :)


P.S. please excuse any linking mistakes, I do not claim to be a computer aficionado

No comments:

Post a Comment