Monday, March 7, 2011

Times Two

I read recently in a PETA magazine how all cows are anonymous to their heartless, rancher owners. That's not true, and these "cows of note" posts are my response, and show that we know our cattle individually, and can often differentiate between hundreds of black cows at a glance.
I show cows from my own, or my family's, herd, and explain what makes them unique.

This cow of note belongs to me. She is a cow of note for several reasons. But, the biggest reason is because she had twins as a first-calf heifer, and liked and raised both of them. She also bred back, and stayed in decent condition while raising twins.
Often, when cows have twins, especially if they have them as a heifer, they only like one. Not this cow, she happily raised her two calves, and would be paired up with both of them throughout the summer.
She is also a cow of note because her mother was my favorite cow, aka, another cow of note. I like crossbred cows, and this cow's mother was 1/2 Angus, 1/2 Gelbvieh. So, this girl is 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Gelbvieh.
She shows her Gelbvieh heritage, and I like that. She's moderate framed, obviously fertile, functional, has a great disposition, and is still feminine.
So, she's a cow of note because she's pretty, has good bloodlines, and is a great mother. I like her, which I guess is a good thing, since I own her.

1 comment:

  1. ohh i just can't help myself, I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!!

    and yes you coudn't be more right! Our herdsman can look at our 2000 cows and know excactly who is who!

    Thanks for sharing
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete