Friday, March 5, 2010

A day in the paper world

So I'm blonde and read the dates wrong and put what my day was like last week. BUT..I did a day on a ranch, so this Friday I'll stick with my life now. BTW this is off the Show us your life blog.

At 6:03 my alarm goes off. I crawl into the bathroom and emerge alive after a shower and brushing my teeth 30 minutes later. Get dressed, do my hair and makeup, eat breakfast and play with the dogs.

Somewhere between 7:25 and 7:35 I kick the dogs outside, start my truck, make a latte (yay!) and head to work.

Arrive at work around 8:00. Fire up the computer and check email, facebook, blog, and a variety of ag-related websites. Then, if it's early in the week I make phone calls, look for story ideas, conduct research and write stories. Really whatever needs to be done for the paper that day. We have a pretty good system and I much prefer weekly papers to daily ones in that regard! Some days I get to travel for interviews or meetings and that breaks up the monotony a little.

On Friday mornings I call in the corrections to the layout lady, update the classifieds on the website, put the flipping book (it should really be called the other "f" word book) on the website and go over the article sheet with Christy for the next week.

At some point I eat lunch and run some errands. Side note here- I have no idea how these town people (I am one now I suppose) do it. One hour to run all your errands. It drives me nuts that I have to list my errands by importance and it takes me all week to get them done.

Sorry, back on track. At around 5:00 pm I load up my work computer and fight traffic back to my house. Greet the dogs, change shoes grab my ipod and off we go on our walk, which takes between 30 minutes and an hour. This is my "me" time with no phone, which I could probably take since I only get a couple calls a week, and they're from my mom :)

6:30 or so we arrive back from the walk, flip on the tv, change into sweats and every other night do an ab workout and some lunges or squats. Clean and organize my house, do chores and eat dinner, which consists of whatever I scrounge up. I don't cook much since I'm never at my house and it's just me.

8:00- Either watch tv or curl up with my latest book. Sometimes drink a cup of caffeine free Lipton tea. Or, if it's Friday this is when I awake from my nap and head to the bar/concert/event going on assuming there is one.

9:30-10:00 crawl into bed, pray, and pray again that I will sleep.

Repeat 5 days a week, stir in a little (or a lot) of weekend fun and viola, my exciting life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Have you read the latest entry in Melissa's blog:

    Melissa's father-in-law died yesterday but Melissa couldn't be bothered to travel with her husband Chad to be with his father, even though they knew he was going to die this week.

    Worse than not being bothered to see her father-in-law, Melissa has been blogging about going shopping, going to lunch with her girlfriends, going to the gym, etc. rather than being at her husband's side.

    Melissa says she can't travel a few hours by car to visit her dying father in law because she is pregnant. What the heck? How can you NOT travel to see your dying father-in-law but you can go to the gym?? go shopping?? and go out to lunch??

    Now Melissa says she can't even be bothered to go to the poor man's funeral. Too busy going to the gym, I guess?

    How many of you girls out there would not go and visit your father-in-law if you knew he only had a few days left on this earth? How many of you would leave your husband alone to watch his father die? How many of you would rather go shopping and go to the gym than go to your father-in-law's funeral?

    I am just astonished at how cold, un-Godly and cruel this woman is. Incredible.